Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Surprise Ending!

I have been reading "Promises to Keep" by Ann Tatlock for the last 2 days. I must say this is a very good read that keeps you reading because you want to know what's happening next! Just from the back cover you know it's going to be a good read. "A mother fleeing unspeakable danger to keep her children safe...Two young girls guarding secrets in a "cross your heart and hope to die" pledge...A father desperate to be reunited with his family..." This story is set in the 1960s during the Vietnam war. Wearing seat belts wasn't the law, being an interracial couple was frowned upon, and having an alcoholic father wasn't unheard of. This story starts out with a single mom of 3 who has escaped an abusive marriage to start a new, good life for her and her kids. They move to Mills River, IL. A place that I personally wouldn't mind living in. School starts and two young girls meet outside a little shop. Two different races, two different lifestyles, but two similar dreams. I was mostly surprised by the end. You get a feeling throughout the story that something not so good is going to happen, but it's not at all what you would expect! I would love to see this turned into a movie! This is a great read for anyone :)

I received this book from Bethany House for review. This is my only my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment