Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Book That Made Your World

The author, Vishal Mangalwadi, grew up in India. Things were quite different there than in western civilizations. He goes into details about their culture. He explains how praise and worship came about. At one point in time worshipers didn't make a sound. The priests did the chants and prayers and that was it. Martin Luther was a reformist who came in and explained why all Christians should be allowed to praise and pray. Then came along the hymnals. He compares Kurt Cobain of the rock band Nirvana to Johan Sebastian Bach, the composer. They both lost their parents at a young age, but took 2 very different paths in life. There is soooo much information packed into this book. It was interesting but sometimes just too much for me to take in and follow. That could also be because of my 3 children at my feet every 10 minutes too. I will pick up the book again in a couple years and maybe I will be able to take it all in. It is a good read, and it has a lot of interesting facts of how Christianity transformed western civilization. I am lending to someone else and they have no complaints at all.

I received this book from Booksneeze to review. This is just my opinion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment