Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Tutor's Daughter: A Review

The Tutor's Daughter was a story I couldn't put down! Julie Klassen did a great job developing these characters. I really felt like I was watching a movie from 19th century Europe.

Emma is the daughter of Smallwood Academy's tutor. The boy school had not received any new students, so Emma decided to write a father of two previously graduated boys. She knew Henry and Philip had 2 younger half-brothers that could probably benefit from her father's academy. She also knew she took great risk as a woman, but she wanted to save their school from closing.

Surprisingly, the Weston family agreed that Mr. Smallwood could tutor the 2 younger boys, but Emma and her father would need to move in with them. 

This book has mystery and moments where I myself wanted to correct and reprimand the defiant youth of high social status. I think Emma handled herself well despite all the evil things being done towards her. I found myself wishing she would have taken more of a stand in certain situations. I also didn't LOVE the ending. After all the serious stuff that went on it seemed all nonchalant about what had been done. Maybe they handled that stuff within the families back then.

It is a good and entertaining read.

Thank you Bethany House Publishing. I received this book for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment