Thursday, June 23, 2011

Jesus Showed Up

"Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me" by Ian Morgan Cron, was an eye opening read. He explains the battles a young mind goes through being the son of an alcoholic. Blaming himself for not being loved enough by his father. He does the bad kid thing in high school with the drinking and drugs and then switches to the good kid role. Maybe his father would notice him then. 

He is an alcoholic as well, one of those functioning alcoholics. He didn't think so and didn't own that title. One of his friends started going to a youth group at a local church and invites Ian to go. The friends he makes there invite him to a big "Jesus event" where he feels the Spirit of God moving. He can't explain what was going on inside of him. Some time down the road he starts volunteering and playing music for the youth group.

I can't help but be reminded of my father when reading through this book. My dad would be at work, a bar, or in his room. I remember when I was about 4 yrs old going into my parents room to get a book from our Sesame Street book collection. My father was sprawled out on the bed, drunk and naked. He shouted at me to get the bleep out of his room. Who did I think I was? I had no right....blah, blah, blah. My parents didn't stay married so I never got to see how bad his ugliness got. I guess I can thank my Jesus for that. 

Ian gets married, gets help from a psychologist, has children, and life goes on. He broke the curse his father began. His children would have a father who is proud of them and loved them no matter what.


I received this book from Booksneeze for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment